Employer/Organization: Cowichan Valley Regional District
Closing: December 8th 2021 4:30 PM PST
Majestic mountains, the rugged West Coast Trail, serene lakes and one of the world’s tallest free-standing timber rail trestles all lie in the picturesque Cowichan Valley Regional District. Located on Vancouver Island, the Cowichan Valley Regional District provides a wide range of local government services to a population of 80,000, located within its 4 distinct municipalities and 9 electoral areas.
A regular full time Parks & Trails Planner opportunity is available in the Parks & Trails Division of the Land Use Services Department. This position will provide an excellent opportunity for an individual to work amongst a highly-motivated parks planning team and enhance their research, planning and design experience in both community park and regional park contexts.
Reporting to the Manager of Parks and Trails, the Parks & Trails Planner is responsible for short and long range planning activities associated with the acquisition, design, layout and development of parks and trails, including research, community consultation, landscape design, concept plans, management plans and general parks and trails planning. Other duties include reviewing subdivision and rezoning applications as pertaining to parks and trail dedication and community amenity contribution, preparing reports and information for Board appointed Committees and Advisory Commissions, preparing and holding public open house events and community consultation activities and assisting with preparation of annual parks and trails budgets.
- University graduation in a related field plus a graduate degree in Landscape Architecture, Parks Planning/Management, Land Use Planning, Environmental Sciences, Community and Regional Planning or related field.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia (PIBC), Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP), or the BC Society of Landscape Architects (BCSLA).
- A minimum of five (5) years progressive related experience in the field of parks planning and/or landscape architecture; preferably in a regional district or municipal government setting.
- A combination of applicable education, training and experience may be considered.
- Valid class 5 Driver’s License – please submit a recent drivers abstract with your application
- First Aid Level 1 with CPR and WHIMIS
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online at https://careers-cvrd.icims.com/jobs/1243/parks-%26-trails-planner/job
Hours of Work
The hours of work are 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This position will be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings. Flex time is offered with this position.
This position is unionized (CUPE Local 358) and is compensated at a wage rate, in three steps, of $43.24-$44.52-$45.86 per hour (2021 rates). A comprehensive benefits package is offered with this position
Status: Regular Full Time
Competition Number: 21127-E
Closing Date: December 8, 2021