Employer/Organization: District of Kitimat
Closing: September 25th 2020 4:30 PM PST
The District of Kitimat is recruiting a Deputy Director of Planning. This position works closely with the Director to ensure effectiveand orderly land use planning and community development activities within the District of Kitimat. They provide community planning information and advice to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and Kitimat Council, prepare community plans, planning policy andbylaws, completes planning projects, assists with the management of municipal land, and assists in supervising department staff.
Kitimat is a unique and exciting community for prospective Planners. LNG Canada is one-year into the largest privately- funded construction project in Canadian history. Our town is experiencing of a surge of investment in housing, commercial and light industrial space. We are looking for someone who is excited about shaping the future of a place that strives to live up to its tag line: “A Marvel of Nature and Industry”.
Job Duties include:
- Assists with managing the Planning Department
- Share responsibility, with Director, for municipal land sales, purchases, leases, rights-of way, covenants, easements, encroachments, licences and other land agreements.
- Represents the Municipality on inter-agency and intergovernmental technical and advisory committees as assigned.
- Provides technical and professional advice on land use and planning related matters to Planning team members, Council, theChief Administrative Officer and other Municipal Departments, Council Committees and Commissions, developers, industrial project proponents and the general public.
- Prepares, recommends and implements—as approved by Director, CAO and Council—both short- and long- term planningstrategies that anticipate situations and/or community needs.
- Coordinates, or prepares, inquiry responses regarding land use and development.
- Recommends administrative and Council action regarding development applications for such matters as zoning amendment, temporary land use, and development permits.
- Ensures application processing occurs in accordance with provincial statutes and the Kitimat Municipal Code.
- Oversees surveys, including question wording, statistical analysis and report
- Oversees maintenance of community statistics and database record information regarding population, demographics, housing, census results and land.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A university degree in community or regional planning or related field, supplemented by certificates or courses in one or more of the following areas: Local Government Management, Public Administration, Subdivision Approval, Urban Design, or GIS.
- Designation as Registered Professional Planner (RPP) in British Columbia
- A minimum of five years of planning experience, three or more in a municipal office including administrative and supervisory responsibilities in a unionized environment. Consulting experience would be beneficial but not required.
- Additional skills include: creative problem solving skills, excellent report writing and presentation skills, strong public speaking and verbal communication, leadership and mentoring experience, ability to apply planning principles and best practices, ability to maintain confidentiality and act with integrity, exercise judgement with within the guidelines of theOfficial Community Plan, Strategic Plan, Kitimat Municipal Code and related policies, be thoroughly familiar with provincial legislation requirements, work collaboratively with other departments and agencies, advanced computer skills with respect to Microsoft Office, and experience using software such as Sketch-Up, InDesign and GIS capabilities.
A detailed job description can be found on the District of Kitimat municipal careers webpage at www.kitimat.ca
Interested candidates should submit a detailed resume, including references by September 25, 2020 to:
Human Resources Manager
District of Kitimat
270 City Centre
Kitimat, B.C. V8C 2H7
By Fax: 250-632-4995
By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Information can be obtained from our website at www.kitimat.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.