PIBC Accredited Student Membership
PIBC is a membership-based professional organization with opportunities for professional practitioners in the planning field, students and others alike to join or get involved.
Become an Accredited Student Member
Becoming a non-corporate Accredited Student Member of PIBC is an excellent opportunity for post-secondary planning students to get connected with the planning profession, network with established professional planning practitioners, take advantage of the services and benefits of the Institute offered to Accredited Student Members, and build their future career in planning.
For a complete overview of the benefits of Accredited Student Membership please download the following
Eligibility for Accredited Student Membership.
An Accredited Student Member is a post-secondary planning student who:
- Is currently enrolled in a university planning school/program which is formally accredited by the Professional Standards Board (PSB) - the national assessment body that is recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP)/PIBC. For information on which university planning schools/programs are currently recognized by the PSB, click here.
- Agrees to abide by the Institute’s bylaws.
Applying for Accredited Student Membership
Accredited Student Membership includes equivalent joint membership with the CIP. Eligible students wishing to apply for Accredited Student Membership should complete and submit the following application form:
Options for Non-Accredited Students
Non-Accredited Students enrolled in other schools or programs which are not CIP recognized Planning programs can join PIBC as non-corporate Non-Accredited Student Subscribers. Becoming a Subscriber provides a connection to the profession and some of the same benefits and services.
Accredited Student Membership Renewal (current process until new changes apply)
For New PIBC Accredited Student Members Who Joined in September 2022 and Later:
All new Accredited Student members who applied and joined as members of PIBC in September 2022 or later will be automatically renewed and continue as Student members until December 31, 2023.
We will check for the annual Renewal with each University and, when confirmed that they are still in the Planning Program, we will renew all Accredited Student Members (who applied before September 2022) until December 31, 2023.
Accredited Student Members with Expiring Eligibility:
Continuing as a Accredited Student member requires that an individual be currently enrolled as a student in an accredited university planning program, or be a recent graduate (within 12 months or less) of an accredited university planning program who is not yet employed in planning.
Individuals who's eligibility to remain an Accredited Student member expiring at the end of the year will be notified by letter from PIBC of the expiry of their eligibility. If this applies to you, there are some actions you can and should take now.
Please review the following:
- If you have completed your studies, graduated, and are now employed in planning, you should now apply for Candidate membership with PIBC to continue your professional membership. This is the first step to eventually becoming a Certified Member and Registered Professional Planner (RPP). For information about Candidate membership and how to apply, visit the 'Join' section of the PIBC website: https://www.pibc.bc.ca/join-candidate-member.
- If you have completed your studies and graduated any time before December 31, 2021, but are not yet employed in planning and wish to continue membership in PIBC, you should now apply for a new category of membership with PIBC: Pre-Candidate membership. For information about Pre-Candidate membership and how to apply, visit the 'Join' section of the PIBC website: https://www.pibc.bc.ca/join-pre-candidate.
- If you have completed your studies and graduated any time after December 31, 2021, but are not yet employed in planning and wish to continue membership in PIBC, you should contact PIBC right away to request a one-year extension to your Accredited Student membership eligibility. This will enable you to continue as an Accredited Student member for an additional year, until December 31, 2023. You will need to contact PIBC in writing (by email - firstname.lastname@example.org) and provide documentation to confirm your recent graduation. See below for contact information.
- If your studies in your university planning program have extended longer than originally anticipated, and you are still currently enrolled in the program, you should contact PIBC right away to request an extension to your Accredited Student membership eligibility. This will enable you to continue as an Accredited Student member for until you complete your studies and graduate. You will need to contact PIBC in writing (by email) and provide documentation to confirm your continued enrolment in your university planning program. We will check with the universities about the current stand of each student. See below for contact information.
- Finally, if you no longer wish to continue with membership in PIBC, you should contact PIBC in writing (by email - email@example.com) to notify us.
Those Accredited Student members needing to apply for a new type of membership or who wish to request an extension to their Accredited Student membership eligibility should contact PIBC at their earliest convenience. Thank you.