Honourary & Life Members
PIBC maintains two distinguished opportunities to recognize and honour individuals outside of the Institute's professional membership who have contributed significantly to planning or to the Institute (Honourary Membership) as well as honouring accomplished, long-serving professional members of the Institute worthy of special distinction (Life Member designation).
Honourary Membership is the highest and most distinguished honour that PIBC can bestow upon an individual who themselves is outside the planning profession but who has made a significant contribution to planning or to the Institute. It is a rare and prestigious honour which affords PIBC the opportunity to recognize such uniquely worthy individuals. The admission of any individual to Honourary Membership is made by the PIBC Board in accordance with the Institute’s bylaws, and at their sole discretion.
The call for submissions for Honourary Membership closes on March 6, 2022. Click here to make a submission.
PIBC Honourary Members
- 2018 - Gary Paget, Senior Executive Advisor, Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- 2017 - Dr. Larry McCann, Emeritus Faculty, University of Victoria, Geography Department (D)
- 2016 - Norman Hotson AIC, AA, OAA, FRAIC, RCA - Principal at DIALOG
- 2015 - Darlene Marzari, Social Planner & former MLA for the Legislative Assembly of BC
- 2014 - Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, President of Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs & Chair of the Okanagan Nation Alliance
- 2013 - Guy Dauncey, Eco-futurist and Founder, BC Sustainable Energy Association
- 2010 - Iona Campagnolo, 27th Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia
- 2009 - Gordon Price, former Vancouver City Councillor, former Director, Simon Fraser University City Program
- 2002 - Roz Hobbs, former PIBC Deputy Registrar
- 1984 - Marguerite Ford, former Vancouver City Councillor
Life Member Designation
Established in 2014, the designation as a Life Member is the highest and most distinguished honour that PIBC can bestow upon a long-serving professional member of the Institute who is worthy of significant recognition. It is a rare and prestigious honour developed by the PIBC Board, which affords PIBC the opportunity to recognize such uniquely worthy members. The granting of the Life Member designation to a member is made by and at the discretion of PIBC Board, upon nomination of that member by at least two corporate members of the Institute.
The call to nominate a member for Life Member designation closes on March 6, 2022. Click here to make a submission.
PIBC Life Members
- 2020 - Linda Allen RPP, FCIP
- 2020 - Gwyn Symmons RPP, MCIP
- 2019 - Dr. Dave Witty RPP, FCIP
- 2018 - Beverly Grieve RPP, MCIP (D)
- 2016 - Jagdev Dhillon (Ret.)
- 2014 - Gerard Farry (D)
For more information about each award, please see below [PDF]: