PIBC Annual Student Fellowship Award
The PIBC Annual Student Fellowship Award provides funding to support Student members’ attendance at and participation in the PIBC’s Annual Conference in order that they may present their academic work to professional colleagues and conference attendees as part of the program of the Annual Conference. The 2023 Annual Conference, It Takes a Village, will be held in Sun Peaks, BC from May 31 - June 2, 2023.
2023 Student Fellowship Award Recipients
Madelaine Parent, UBC SCARP for Tenant Protections in Redevelopment
Mikhaila Carr, UNBC School of Sustainability and Planning for Parks, Accessible Spaces and Storytelling
Courtenay Miller, VIU Master of Community Planning for Planning for Longstanding Sustainability: Addressing the Downfalls of Green Infrastructure Planning
Nathan Zemp, SFU REM for Quantifying the Effect of Single-Family Zoning on Housing Prices in Metro Vancouver, BC
About the Annual Student Fellowship Award
This award shall be issued to one (1) eligible recipient from each of the Institute accredited university planning programs in British Columbia and Yukon.
This award shall be available to any Student member of the Institute in good standing who is currently enrolled in one of the Institute accredited university planning programs in British Columbia and Yukon. Any Student member who is already a recipient of another Student award or other financial support outlined in this policy shall not normally be eligible for this award during the same fiscal (calendar) year. Recipients of this award may only receive this award once during their tenure as a Student member of the Institute.
In order to be considered for this award, interested eligible Student members must apply in writing to the Institute in full accordance with the application process and deadlines prescribed by the Institute, including providing:
- information about their academic achievements and areas of academic research;
- information about their proposed conference presentation; and
- any other information as may be required and/or requested.
The selection of successful recipients of this award shall be made in consultation with the Annual Conference Committee, based on merit, taking into consideration the following criteria:
- overall academic achievement;
- quality of proposed conference presentation; and
- relevance of proposed conference presentation to the Annual Conference.
This award would normally be applied towards reimbursement of recipients’ travel, accommodation and conference registration expenses incurred in attending, and participating in the Institute’s Annual Conference (up to the amount prescribed) and would normally be disbursed by the Institute following appropriate documented claim by the recipient. Successful award recipients will be registered to participate in the Annual Conference.
Completed applications must include the following:
- Completed application form (available here)
- At least one (1) letter of recommendation from a faculty member from your planning program, attesting to your overall academic achievement and the value of your candidacy for this award.
- A 500-700 word abstract outlining proposed conference presentation, and how it may relate to the upcoming PIBC Annual Conference.
- Completed application package submitted by the submission deadline to Kelly Chan, Member Services Coordinator
- Call for applications open: December 6, 2022
- Application deadline: January 27, 2023 at 4 pm PT
- Results released: February 17, 2023
Questions? Please e-mail Kelly Chan, Member Services Coordinator