Employer/Organization: The City of Vernon
Closing: February 26th 2023 11:30 PM PST
Job Description Under Review
Competition #: 17-COV-23
Closing Date: February 26, 2023
Annual Salary: $118,536.41 – 139,454.67
If you've heard of the Okanagan, you know how beautiful it is. Four seasons, year round outdoor adventure and a rich agricultural bounty are just some of our charms. The City of Vernon is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to join the Community Infrastructure and Development Services team. Vernon is a growing, evolving city and our team is dedicated to making it the greatest place in the world. If you are skilled, talented and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you. The City of Vernon offers a competitive compensation package, including enrollment in the Municipal Pension Plan.
Reporting to the Director, Community Infrastructure and Development, this position is responsible for all activities of current planning, long range planning and sustainability. In addition, the incumbent will act as Deputy Director, and assumes the role of Director, Community Infrastructure and Development Services during leave and other absences.
- Oversees the processing of all land use applications.
- Oversees the development of contemporary long range plans, the Official Community Plan, Climate Action Plan, neighbourhood plans and park plans and that fully address the economic, social and environmental components of community sustainability, including associated community involvement and public participation.
- Provides leadership and expertise in the development of studies, bylaws, policies and procedures pertaining to long range planning within the community.
- Responsible for the analysis of current programs, procedures and policies to identify new approaches and makes recommendations for the inclusion of sustainability considerations which affect corporate efficiencies and community sustainability opportunities.
- Oversees implementation of changes to programs, procedures and policies to enhance corporate sustainability and support community sustainability opportunities with division Directors.
- Responsible for the development, administration and periodic review of the Zoning Bylaw and related regulations/policies.
- Responsible for the review and recommendations relating to the revision of, or establishment of, policies and other bylaws that support the functions of the Department.
- Reviews, develops and recommends new and revised departmental policies and procedures to respond to changing needs and/or achieve improvements, cost savings and revenue generation.
- Ensures an effective and timely response process to applicant, citizen and business inquiries and complaints concerning matters of policy, bylaws and plans governing growth, development and land use control in the City of Vernon.
- Oversees development and maintenance of benchmarking measures and systems to ensure effective measurement of performance and service delivery by the Department.
- Oversees the preparation and execution of restrictive covenants, statutory rights-of-way, easements and development agreements related to zoning and subdivision matters.
- Oversees civic addressing.
- Oversees reviews of building permit applications and business license applications for compliance with the Zoning Bylaw, Official Community Plan, Development Cost Charge Bylaw and any other bylaw/policy/other governing such application.
- Administers the contract with the Social Planning Council of the North Okanagan for the provision of social planning services to the municipality.
- Attends meetings of Council, Council committees, regional governance committees and other bodies, as required, as well as public hearings and other public meetings, as a resource and/or representative and/or staff liaison of the City.
- Develops and monitors the attainment of the Department’s goals and objectives to support the Corporate (Council) Strategic Plan. Ensures Council’s goals and objectives related to the Department are accomplished.
- Develops the department’s annual budget and makes recommendations to the Director, Community Infrastructure and Development Services, and is accountable for financial results within budget allocations.
- Ensures risk management and liability exposures are addressed and monitored.
- Responsible for the Department’s performance management process to ensure each employee’s personal success and the value of their contribution to the success of their fellow employees and the organization, including feedback, coaching and identifying areas for development.
- Develops and maintains succession plans for the Department to ensure staff development, placement opportunities and continuity.
- Oversees an effective departmental safety program, which adheres to all WorkSafe regulations, including safety rules and procedures, safety orientation and training, identification/correction of workplace hazards, accident/incident investigation, and regular meetings.
- Is a designated Deputy Approving Officer.
- Acts as the Deputy Director, and assumes the role of Director, Community Infrastructure and Development Services during leave and other absences.
- Assists the Director during periods of increased workload and/or special projects.
- Performs other duties as required.
- All persons employed by the City of Vernon will be required to assist the City in providing emergency services as required. Duties assigned during an emergency may differ from regular duties.
Required Education and Experience:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, techniques and objectives of urban planning evidenced by completion of a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or related field.
- 7 – 10 years progressively responsible planning experience in a municipal environment.
- Demonstrated progressively responsible management/supervisory experience in a municipal environment.
- Eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the methodologies utilized in the preparation of Official Community Plans, Zoning Bylaws and land use plans and studies, including accepted statistical and research techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of local government, provincial, and federal planning legislation and regulatory requirements.
- Considerable knowledge of engineering, transportation, economics and municipal finances, as applied to urban planning.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a commitment to teamwork and customer service.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement in problem solving.
- Ability to resolve conflict.
Conditions of Employment:
- As a fundamental term and condition of employment with the City of Vernon, candidates will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Please submit your resume, quoting the appropriate competition number to: Human Resources, City of Vernon, using one of the following methods:
- Online at www.vernon.ca (In MS Word or PDF Format) or
- By Fax: (250) 550-3551
Internal applicants are asked to complete the Internal Application Form located on Jostle and forward this along with a resume.
By making application, you are authorizing the City of Vernon to verify, through whatever means deemed appropriate, any information included in your applicant profile.
The City of Vernon wishes to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please!