Employer/Organization: City of Whitehorse
Closing: March 3rd 2021 5:00 PM PST
The incumbent provides planning services for the City.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages complex and controversial planning projects and prepares proposals and reports for review at Council and Senior Management meetings and regular Council meetings.
- Creates and coordinates complex bylaws, policies and neighbourhood planning studies.
- Leads complex public processes including multi-day neighbourhood charettes and workshops.
- Responsible for a variety of complex professional service contracts and coordinates consultants, the public, stakeholders, City staff and Council.
- Leads numerous public application processes including OCP amendments, zoning amendments, heritage designation and grant applications, development agreements and lease agreements.
- Leads City land development projects, including neighbourhood and subdivision design.
- Researches, prepares and drafts new proposals and sustainable land planning initiatives for the City.
- Assists in the implementation of municipal land-use and policy objectives that address social, cultural, economic, and environmental sustainability.
- Interprets and analyzes various intergovernmental legislation, bylaws and policies.
- Follows, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Hours of work between 0800 - 1700 hours, Monday to Friday, 7 hours per day, with frequent requirement for overtime during lunch hour and evening CASM meetings, and evenings and weekends for public consultation meetings. Infrequent exposure to temperature extremes during site visits. Consistent interactions with disagreeable and dissatisfied citizens both in person and over the phone. Some negative references by name in public media.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- University Degree in Planning or related field
- Class 5 Driver’s License
- Previous experience - 3 years’ experience in the planning field, including project management and working with local government and public and community groups.
- On-the-job experience – 6 months
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to present work to a variety of audiences including City Council, Senior Management, City and Yukon Government Departments and the public.
- Experience creating different types of mapping and graphic displays through the use of several types of software.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP)/Planning Institute of BC (PIBC)
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Range $38.42 - $45.20 per hour
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Vehicle, office equipment, audio-visual equipment, computer with applications such as AutoCAD, Outlook, Word, Excel, Microsoft Dynamics (GP), WorkTech, ERP, Claims, MapInfo, ArcGIS, Photoshop, InDesign or other graphic design software.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/departments/human-resources/how-to-apply. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at HR@whitehorse.ca.
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.