Employer/Organization: Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
Closing: April 18th 2021 4:00 PM PST
Located in the south-central region of B.C., the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen covers an area over 10,400 km2 and is renowned for its orchards, vineyards and golf courses, as well as its widely varied landscape including deserts, mountains and valleys, and pristine lakes. Outdoor recreational opportunities are endless throughout the Regional District and residents enjoy a wide array of activities all year long.
Reporting to the Manager of Planning Services, the Planner I position will provide broad and diverse planning advice to internal and external clients, processes current planning applications and prepares land use reports, studies and bylaws.
- Post-secondary degree in planning, geography, environmental science, or a related field.
- A minimum of three (3) years of related experience.
- Eligibility for membership or candidate membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia and the Canadian Institute of Planners is preferred.
- Knowledge of local land use planning policies and regulations, environmental legislations, and provincial and federal legislation related to planning.
- Knowledge of theoretical land use planning principles and possesses the ability to make land use decisions and recommendations.
- Sound knowledge of provincial, municipal and Regional District legislation as it relates to land use planning.
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interact with public groups and facilitate issue identification, issue resolution and consensus building.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with the Board of Directors, Committees, and a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work on a number of concurrent tasks with deadline pressures.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters with discretion and integrity.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, and Excel) and software used in Regional District operations. Experience with mapping software would be considered an asset.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as required.
- Ability to pass and maintain a criminal record check.
- Valid B.C. Driver’s Licence.
This regular, full-time position is included in the BCGEU bargaining unit. The hourly wage for the position is $38.90, Paygrade 8, plus an attractive benefits and pension package.
Qualified individuals are invited to submit their application in PDF format quoting Competition No. 21-17E by 4:00 pm, Sunday, April 18th, 2021 to:
Human Resources Department
Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
101 Martin Street
Penticton, BC V2A 5J9
Tel: 250-492-0237 Fax: 250-492-0063
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.